To hallow the site of the new Coventry Cathedral a burning candle was carried from the medieval crypt chapels beneath the Ruins to the new Chapel of the Cross constructed in the Cathedral undercroft. In the full glare of the television cameras Provost Howard handed the flame to his successor, Provost Williams, who used it to light the candles on the new altar in preparation for its consecration by Bishop Cuthbert Bardsley.
This was the physical birth – the transfer of Coventry Cathedral from the Ruins to the new site. It took place on New Year’s Eve 1958 and was broadcast live on BBC TV.
Members of the Friends are invited to view archive film footage of this event in the new Cathedral Pavilion on 2nd April 2022 at 3pm.
Tea and light refreshments will be served upon arrival. There is no charge. Donations will be invited.
There is only one copy of this 20 minute film known to exist, and it has never previously been shown to members of the Cathedral community. This may be your only opportunity to see it.
To show such an historic film is surely an appropriate way in which to start the Friends programme of meetings in 2022 - the Year of the Cathedral’s Diamond Jubilee.